Thursday, July 9, 2009

Handicap Bathrooms

Well here I am, Edwyn Prose back once again with something to write about and maybe rant about some, although I probably won't be going too crazy on this. I'm going to talk a little about handicap bathrooms, mainly because I have a nephew with disabilities and its on his behalf that I want to level some of my trademark ire at some of the public buildings we've visited lately.

Ok, don't squirm in your chair, I'm not about to go naming and shaming. There's no mileage in that in this case, but I just want to raise awareness of this.

Ok, its not always the lack of handicap facilities in public buildings that has prompted this, but on some the occasions we've visited places, its the fact that they were closed off when we visited! Now, I understand that bathrooms need to be cleaned and sometimes they need to be maintained and that would require closing the facility. But to have them closed while a public building is open to the public should not happen!

Fair enough if a mess gets made and it needs to be cleaned up, sure you can close the facility for the several minutes it takes to clean it up. But then you're supposed to open it again! We've been caught on a number of occasions where the facility was "closed for cleaning" and when we came back 20 minutes later it was still closed. We checked and there was no one working in there, so what the hell was it closed for?

The explanation I was given was that the cleaner must have forgotten to re-open it again after cleaning it. Well, that's really not good enough people.

A handicap facility, with its obvious need should never be left in that kind of state while a public building is open.

Ok, my point is put and that's all I'm going to say about it.

On this note, I will mentions something that is related in some way to this and that's my local hardware store that I had to visit the other day to get some handicap shower accessories for our own handicap bathroom. They excelled themselves in not only having the items I needed in stock, but for the grab rails that I purchased, they had a guy there come round and fit them for me that very same day and they didn't charge me a cent for doing it! I'm mighty impressed, so much so that I gave the guy a $50 tip and told him to buy the guys in the store a drink from me!

Hey, its nice to hear a happy ending from one of my posts!

Edwyn Prose

No comments: